1. What is the identity of the cycling connection you want to design and build?
Are you sure that the cycling infrastructure you want to design and build is a part of a future cycle highway? And if it is a cycle highway, how will you brand and promote it on the mobility market?
2. Did you consider enough alternatives to realize the functional connection?
Can you avoid that someone comes up with a much better scenario that was never considered in the planning phase? Which criteria were used to compare the different scenarios?
3. What are your main design goals and ambitions?
If you do not want to miss a quick win opportunity or a no regret measure, browse the short checklist that helps you in the design goal setting and learn from some mistakes.
Explore related tools
Maturity Assessment Tool
CHIPS developped the cycle highway Maturity Assessment Tool to create a common understanding of cycle highways among Cycle Highway professionals:
- 22 criteria to assess your cycle highway
- 4 maturity levels: from threshold level 1 (minimum) to level 4 (European benchmark).
EU map of Potential cycle highways
How important is your cycle highway? Open the map and zoom into your region to see how your your cycle highway (network) is related to the potential cycle highways in Europe. This European fishing lake for potential cycle highways helps you to:
- envision a future cycle highway (network) in your region.
- plan the route alginment
- give identity to your cycling connection
Step-by-step guide to turn your cycle highway into a plug&play mobility product that can be promoted on the mobility market. The toolbox contains:
- Readability tools: branding strategies, wayfinding measures and best practices
- Reviews: CHIPS recommendations and mistakes to avoid
- Framework: 10 playlists of measures
- Search engine: different filters
Design goals & guidelines
This comparison of the existing guidelines to design cycle highways presents:.
- common trends and design goals
- points where different guidelines diverge
- new uncharted areas
What are the measures and options to establish or improve your cycle highway?
- Infrastructural measures
- Options for traffic management
Learn more about CHIPS project
A cycle highway facilitates citizens to move by bicycle from one place to another. It connects residential areas with business districts, city centers or transportation hubs. To determine the right location and make the right connection a calculation of the expected use is needed, taking into account the future developments to plan a future proof cycle highway.
Main objective: development of a virtual planning tool for potential cycle highways
The challenge is to design the best suitable cycle highway for that specific location. Therefor different criteria such as attractiveness, wayfinding, size and directness have to be taken into account.
Main objectives: a cycle highway assessment tool to evaluate the design and readability concepts in the (Virtual) Living Lab.
Communication and campaigns will help to stimulate (new) cyclists to use the cycle highway. Commuters are the main target group. The engagement of employers is key to reach the commuters and create a modal shift from car to (e)-bike.
Main objectives: designing campaigns, development of service point and mobile HUBs.
Final step is to monitor and evaluate the effects of the development. Are people using the new cycle infrastructure? By using GPS-data, information from counters and traffic lights relevant information about the use can be filtered.
Main objectives: monitoring and evaluation dashboard and a CO2 reduction calculator.