ROAD SAFETY - INTERSECTIONS
Regarding Road Safety you need to count the dangerous intersections.
To assess dangerous intersections we agreed to use the Eurovelo criteria which are
- intersection with limited visibility
- going left (in right-hand traffic) turn with no hook turn possible
- roundabouts with multiple lanes
- traffic lights with significant conflicts
- long crossings (>10m) without traffic island or lights
- HGV turning right (heavy vehicles) across cycle lane.
Some innovations can improve dangerous intersections. In the picture you see BikeScout from Heijmans where a sensor detects the approaching bike which causes LEDs in the car road to light up and blink.