In the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, seven Cycle Superhighways are now currently in planning, under construction, or are already open to traffic. The seven projects will together realise a total length of more than 250 km within a combined investment of EUR 370 million. Just like in the 5 provinces of Flanders, the region of Copenhagen or London:
- there is a specific logo and a central brand colour for the cycle highway network.
- the different cycle highways have a letter+number code.
In this way, a higher scale of network-branding is achieved. The Radschnellwege use the RS+number coding strategy. Similar letter+number codes are also used in the region of Copenhagen (C-number), London (CS-number), The Netherlands (F-number). The establishment of a network-idenity by means of letter+number codes is recommended by the CHIPS project. Browse the CHIPS recommended readability tools in the toolbox: identity principles and code-logo-strategy.
The RS- cycle highways in North Rhine - Westphalia will be marked will be marked along their entire length in both directions with a green guiding line in order to clearly display the route. The cycle highway logo will be marked on approaches and immediately after junctions. They will also be applied along the length of the route for cycle lanes.
- Network-identity on a higher scale
- Letter + number coding strategy
- One consequent brand colour strategy (green) (compare Flanders, region of Copenhagen,...)
- Higher economies of scale could be achieved by applying C-numbers.